The Boiler House is a friendly community workshop space dedicated to making and mending, just a mile from the middle of Manchester. We offer access to a wood workshop, DIY workshops, and space for events.
Their vision is to kick start a new community-led industrial revolution for 21st century Manchester, based on technology, low carbon and sustainable solutions, and a highly skilled population.
- Provide space and equipment for people to develop their skills, confidence and employment opportunities.
- Provide practical and creative paid for and free workshops for the community on DIY, woodwork, upcycling, bike maintenance etc.
- Reduce waste to landfill
- Create volunteering opportunities for local people.
- Provide space for community activities and events particularly those with creative and a social purpose.
- Develop a sustainable building design
In the 1980s the Boiler House operated as a district heating system for thousands of homes in Moss Side and has gradually fallen out of use. In 2019 Sow the City are transforming the building into a new type of resource for local people. A space for making things, learning new practical skills, and being creative. The project is being delivered by Sow the City CIC in partnership with Big Society Capital, One Manchester and GMCVO.
Find out more
The boiler house runs free community activities that provide skills for employment, improve health and wellbeing, develop a circular economy, and promote gender and race equality.
Visit the website for more information about the space and upcoming eventsFind out more